Discover my learning preferences and limiting beliefs
How do you prefer to learn, what takes you more energy for you to learn and how does this help or hinder me?
The research on learning styles needs a significant shake up. Dr Julia Atkin has been a pioneer in this space in Australia for over the last 30 years. It is helpful to understand our preferred learning styles, but this does not necessarily help us improve our learning capacity.
This is because we need to be able to adjust our preferences to the task at hand. You may be aware of the Visual, Kinaesthetic, Auditory styles of learning. Dr Atkin's work takes this a step further to investigate the ways our brain's prefer to process information. When we combine the learning modalities (VAK) with an understanding of how our brain learns from a neurological perspective, we gain a greater insight into what helps and hinders us when learning.
The key message of this module is that we need all four styles to learn effectively irrelevant of our preferences.
Four learning modalities will be identified
- Kinaesthetic-personal learning
- Visual-conceptual learning
- Written-Symbolic learning
- Auditory-sequential learning
What to expect in this online program:
- Short video-type lectures to teach the key concepts
- Worksheets for reflection
- Personal report identifying the learning attributes impacting your success (emailed 48hrs after completion)
- Quizzes to check your knowledge
- Discussion board for personalised feedback
- Follow-up activities and reading list
- Downloadable eBook chapter to support you in the future
Psychologist & Education Consultant (10+yrs).
I am delighted that my Year 8 son did this course. We both found the information on his learning preferences and styles very insightful and it has helped him work out ways to motivate himself and to be more engaged at school. Thanks, Rosie, I'd say we'll be back for a refresher before Year 12!
B.Collins - Parent of Year 8 son
Frequently Asked Questions
Learners have the option to book into virtual classroom sessions where individuals work together or one-on-one to apply their knowledge and skills. This enables learners to better transfer their new strategies to the real world. Sessions are held online via zoom.
Please visit the website for more information: www.ilearnforlife.org
Additional online modules can also be accessed which focus on:
- Get unstuck and become a lifelong learner
- Get motivated and find your drivers
- Manage your emotions to maximise your learning
- Develop a growth mindset and overcome obstacles
- Develop supportive relationships and connect to my 'team'
- Adopt the best strategy for your learning challenges
- Make effective choices about your future